Let me preface this story by explaining my state of mind at the time. My mom has a quote in her office that says, "Stress happens when your gut says no and your mouth says, 'Sure I'd love to!'" I left for San Jose, CA early Wednesday morning, and I'm watching the Pickett kiddos till tomorrow night when we will fly to Thailand to meet up with their parents for 2 weeks!! Apparently I think I am Wonder Woman because Josh and I took a quick weekend trip to California last weekend, I worked extra full days Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and I volunteered to be in charge of this weeks mutual activity! Am I crazy?..probably!
Now on to the good stuff.... Tuesday night for mutual we planned a fun fondue and games night! We had a blast doing it last year and thought we'd make it an annual party. Each girl brings a dipper and I bring the pepper jack cheese for Mexican fondue and games. I was a little frantic due to some last minute "ooooohh I need to remember _____" So I went to target on my way home from work. I was in desperate need of a shower, so I sent josh to the grocery store to pick up the stuff for fondue while I got ready and organized the apartment a little. When he got back I was a little worried about time and started shredding the cheese, but oh wait....I shredded my finger instead! Josh was in the other room and heard an, "oooohooooh!" He helped me wash the wound and I asked him to help me get the cheese out of the cut, then he told me that was my skin. I came dangerously close to passing out. I don't do well with blood. I don't even do bad...I'm TERRIBLE with blood! After 45 minutes of bleeding I put a band aid on, struggled with putting on my clothes (Josh wasn't much help, he's used to to doing the opposite :-)), and got over to the church building for mutual. And to think we were only 15 minutes late! Later that night Josh was VERY concerned because my whole finger was swollen and turning blueish-green. (He thought it would be a good reason for me to stay home from the up coming trip.) I have to admit, I was a little worried out my flesh wound too! But it has now been 3 days and after following mom Duffy's medical advice, it is healing very well!
Oh...I almost forgot the best part of this whole story... we went out to dinner Wednesday night with our friends the Morgan and Nick (aka the Bartons) and then played games at their house as a farewell party before I left. After showing them my franken-finger, Nick got out their cheese grater (that is an EXACT replica of the murderous one in our apartment) and he did a reenactment worthy of TRUE TV (or whatever that channel is where they have crazy stories). Then randomly throughout the night he and Josh brought the grater back out accompanied by an "eeeee eeee eeeee" noise just to see the look on my face. Horrible I know. :-) But all is well.
My finger 45 minutes post trauma
4 comments:
Wow. That looks pretty scary woman! I hope you have a really fun and safe trip in Thailand! Don't have too much fun without all of us, cause we will be so unfun here! Love ya!
Oh, I have the shivers, my stomach is twirling, and I have a sick feeling just looking at your finger. Mere! That is BAD. I'm glad it's doing better. Just keep taking good care of it and you shouldn't even have a scar.
Love you--
wow- that looks alot worse than I thought :(
Oh my heck I feel faint! No joking!
Post a Comment