Sunday, September 23, 2007

First Timer

Well after mom Duffy started a blog, I thought it would be fun to do one as well. Not just to keep in touch with friends and family, which is wonderful, but for my sanity. I find journal keeping helps me to sort out my day and puts thing into perspective (something I've been lacking). Although if this turns up anything like my journals it will be mostly venting...so I will do my best!!! :-) This week has been a long one. Monday was the beginning of my first full week as a teaching assistant at the Montesorri school. Most of the kids are great. They come to school, they work hard, they listen, they go home. A few like to pretend they don't understand the meredith language. A few think of me as a jungle gym. And an even more select few make going to work every day worth it. There is the sweetest little boy named Bowen who smiles all day long. He follows me around just beaming and occasionally, for no reason, he will give me a hug. It's very sweet. My other job at Nordstrom is going pretty well. I've been doubling my selling goal for each day which is very good (especailly for my paycheck), but when taking my shoes of at the end of each night I'm seriously afraid of finding that my toes are actually gone, not just numb. We'll see if I adapt to the feeling. I'm finding that Kristen, my sister, is most excited about my job. She has already sent me an extensive wishlist fron nordstrom.com of things she would like me to buy for her with my discount. I believe I have sidetracked a bit from desribing the other events in the week....monday was family home evening (we got golden spoon) then I worked on making posters for the young women's room while Josh and Brady tried to figure out Josh's computer. Tuesday was mutual: young women made dinner and played games with the bishopric andf their wives while the young men played "flag" football inside. While catching a brilliant throw, Josh fractured his finger in two places and tore his tendon. yippee. We spent our four month "anniversary" in the ER. On the way home we did manage to stop for gelato!!! Wednesday I narrowly escaped a ticket. This is my first experience of only getting a warning from a police officer, a miracle in my book!!! I was picking up Josh from his night class because he wasn't really up to driving. I showed up about 5 minutes early so I just pulled up in front of the building, put the car in park and listened to Harry Potter on tape until he came out. I had been there for about 2 minutes when I saw lights flashing behind me and waited in a panic for another 2 minutes before the officer decided to get out of the car. He informed me I was parked in a no parking zone (even though there were no signs) and that they are cracking down and even ticketing people still in their cars. It took some begging but I got off with a warning. phewww. Thursday was a double work day, so I got up at 6, went to school, then nordstrom, came home at 10 then crashed. Friday was the same. Today I worked from 11-8, but I left an hour early because it was super slow and I wasn't feeling too great. Josh and I went to Red Robin for dinner to celebrate a hectic week. It was my first time eating there, and while I was rather skeptical at first, I absolutely loved it. Nothing beats a terriaki burger with grilled pineapple. well except for maybe the chocolate oreo shake I had to go with. It definitely hit the spot. Now after finishing my lesson for tomorrow, I am experimenting with the blog and going to bed the most relaxed I've been all week knowing that tomorrow I can relax and I don't have to worry about a thing. Not even dinner beacue amazing Auntie Lisa has invited us over for dinner! sighhhhh....what would we do without her? (Josh would probably look like an Ethiopian orphan). Well it is officially 5 hours past my regular bed time. Until next time.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Yeah! Mere! I'm soooo excited. I have found that I look forward to journaling. I think this will be an awesome way to keep individual and family histories. To be able to 'be there' for each other when we can't 'be there' geographically. I just need to learn how to get better on the computer. Post pictures, etc. My cousin even posts family video events on you-tube and then you can watch them. Shaun saw you started a blog, and he just went and signed up too! Oh I wish you and Josh were here with us! It is so beautiful. We've had lots of rain and it is relaxing and cozy.

LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!

Mom

Shaun Duffy said...

mereeeeee