Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Fair or Equal

Lately I feel like I keep hearing from all areas of life the phrase, "That's not fair!" and I hate (as I'm sure everyone else does) the counter-response, "We'll life's not fair!" I think people have a misconception that "fair" is a synonym for "equal." Life is not equal, and I don't want it to be. I don't want someone else's life. Sure it would be nice the have certain aspects of other people's lives, but I want my own unique experiences. I want to still be me. And just for the sake of argument, I still belive, that even if we had all the same material things and opportunities, life still wouldn't be "fair," because we would view, value, and maintain those objects differently. I guess my "ah ha" moment of the day is that I think in a way life is fair. It's not equal, but I think it is fair because we all get learning experiences and opportunities for growth that are tailored (by our Heavenly Father who knows and loves us) for us. You may disagree, and thats okay, I just felt a little more at peace and optimistic about my own personal "trials" and thought I'd share.

Disclaimer: There are truly tragic circumstances in which life absolutely is NOT fair, but in general when the phrase "That's not fair!" is used, I think people really mean "That's not equal!"

1 comment: