Note: the following is not a result of discussion with anyone or judging people's comments, just the product of late night conversations with myself while in my steam room of a shower (I like the water scalding hot).
I've noticed that when someone declares their enjoyment of an activity or hobby, it is then expected of them to be exceptional at it. I guess the general assumption is that if you enjoy it, you spend all of your free time doing it, use all of your resources perfecting it, and in the process become a pro. Why the need for perfection? What happened to doing something purely for the enjoyment of doing it? Do we enjoy doing things only because we are good at them? Looking back I think my hobbies have really chosen me. If I'm not immediately good at something, I quit in search of something I'm better at. I mean, who doesn't love to hear the phrase, "You're a natural!" On the other hand, I have this desire to try everything! I'm the girl at school who can't pick a major because she wants to do EVERYTHING! Can't I just be a floral designing, scuba diving, art history lover, traveling international business, photographer/writer? No? Okay, fine. I guess I have a hard time picking because I don't really excel at any one thing, I'm a "Jack of all trades." Anyone else feel that way? I can be a bit of a perfectionist in somethings, but I have a confession to make, I lack the patience (and skill) to become exceptional in everything I do. It's a fact, and one that I am going to start embracing. Top on my list, singing. I LOVE to sing! Any time the radio is on, I just start singing. If I don't know the words, I look them up and play the song over and over again until I know them. The only problem is I am TOTALLY and COMPLETELY tone deaf. I have been compared to a dying coyote, mistaken for a squeaky wheel in the car, and laughed at many many times...but it doesn't matter, I still love to sing. I just don't do it in front of anyone anymore, and I kind of think that's sad. It made me think, what activities/hobbies do other people have, that they are embarrassed about because they aren't the top of their trade?
Conclusion: I'm going to try my absolute hardest not to judge people by their hobbies and the things they are (or maybe aren't) good at. It sounds silly, but I think we all do that more than we think.
Thursday, February 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment